SUP - STAND UP PADDLING - STAND UP PADDLE BOARDING IN HAMBURG
Explore Hamburg from an amazing perspective
July 20, 2020
Season opening with restrictions (see bottom of page)
All jetties in Hamburg are open again! Lessons and tours can be booked, with a maximum of five paddlers in a group at peak times on weekends. No board rental!
Planning a trip to Hamburg? Or perhaps you're already in the city, it's a beautiful day and you're looking for a great outdoor activity?
I am a licensed Stand up Paddling Instructor in my seventh season and offer SUP lessons and guided tours on the Alster, Hamburg's beautiful lake in the heart of the city.
As well as learning to paddle board, you'll also hear facts about the city and its history. Here's one for free: Hamburg has more bridges than Venice and Amsterdam combined.
Nice weather? Just book spontaneously for a real highlight of your Hamburg trip.
Prices for lessons and tours
Personal Training, 120 minutes
Training for two, 120 minutes
Training for three, 120 minutes
Training for four, 120 minutes
Larger group? 5 to 9 paddlers: € 49,--/paddler
No non-swimmers in my lessons. If members of your group cannot swim, they may rent sleek 4-seater pedal boats for € 20,-/hour and join the paddlers on the water.
That's also an option if some in your group just don't want to be on a wobbly paddle board and for groups of more than 9 paddlers: some go in a pedal boat. We can also swap on the water.
Please send an email with your plan details: date, start time, number of participants, experience level (beginners or advanced), and I'll come back to you. To confirm a booking, I'll need a 20 % deposit via Paypal.
Standard procedure: clients call me two hours before the event for a last weather check.
If conditions do not allow for being on the water, deposit will be refunded or another date scheduled.
Boards, paddles, leashes, drinks, and photos taken on the water for you to download for free from Dropbox.
We will start with some theory on the jetty. After that, we get on the boards and you will learn how to stand up, how to keep your balance, and four basic paddle strokes.
When everybody feels safe on the board, we will tour the Alster and adjoining canals.
We'll start the tour immediately. Expect to paddle up to 11 km during two hours.
During summer, sunrise tours are an unforgettable experience: the city is awakening around the mirror-like and empty waters. On the water, you'll get to know facts and stories about what we see.
If your schedule allows for it, try to avoid the "rush hours": Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evening.
What should you wear for paddle boarding?
Please do not wear cotton clothes for your paddling event. Once cotton gets wet, it will take a long time to dry and will feel cold on your skin, especially in windy conditions.
Instead, pack quick drying board shorts (without cotton underwear!) or lycra leggings and a lycra shirt. On a rainy day, a simple plastic rain coat will help to keep you feeling comfortable.
If the water is below 16 degrees C, which is usually the case until May and from October, I recommend wearing a drysuit or wetsuit. If you plan to come early or late in the season, bring some simple neoprene booties or a pair of old canvas sneakers (helps a bit) to keep your feet warm.
Rest assured: not all beginners fall into the water all of the time.
However, bad news, gentlemen: my statistics over the years show a water contact ratio of 1 : 7 for the men, only 1 : 12 for the ladies!
- safety leash for your glasses/sunglasses
- towel and spare clothes
- sun protection: cap/hat and sun lotion
- course fee/voucher
- Due to the current situation, the following rules and requirements must be observed. We ask for your help to implement them accordingly.
- In the event of symptoms of illness or after contact with a sick person in the past two weeks, the jetty must not be entered.
- The minimum distance of 1.5 m between people must always be kept. We reserve the right to stop access to the jetty.
- Each guest must enter their contact details when entering the jetty (electronically at the entrance).
- Wearing mouth/nose protection is recommended.
- Observing and following the signs on the jetty is mandatory.
- The access walkway is divided into entrance and exit. Please pay attention to the running direction.
- The instructions of the employees must always be followed.
- SUP material is disinfected before use.
- The prescribed minimum distance of 1.5 m must be observed during the theoretical introduction on the jetty and also on the water.
- The group size for SUP courses and tours is limited to a maximum of 5 people at peak times.
- For hygienic reasons, there is no rental of neoprene material. Please bring appropriate water sports clothing (see above).
- Due to the applicable regulations, the changing facilities on the jetty cannot be used. Please either come dressed ready for paddling, or you change clothes before and after with a large towel on the jetty.
Call Frank: +49 175 527 4368 or send a message.